About Me

My photo
I am a journalism graduate and LCF student desperate to break into the fashion industry (desperate being the operative word). I currently write for daisygreenmagazine.co.uk and runninginheels.com, and right here is where I vent my trials and tribulations, style and fashion cravings. I am a handbag addict, as well as loving a good old cup of yorkshire tea. Give me jelly babies and I will love you forever. I need to learn French so I can live in Paris with a pug and a wardrobe full of gems. I will always return to my first love - London town. As far as I am concerned there is nothing in life that cannot be solved with a good handbag - preferably a Chanel.

Sunday 6 June 2010

To Blog or Not to Blog

One of the biggest issues at this year’s fashion shows was bloggers.

They're the Marmite of the fashion world. You either love them or hate them. And for the most part, it's the latter.

Blogging is a new phenomenon. It used to be normal, fashion fans (much like myself), just blogging to get experience in writing, not really thinking anyone was reading. It is only recently that bloggers have really come into their own, and started appearing in front of the camera, and on other bloggers pages.

One of the most famous bloggers of late is Tavi. You only have to type 'Ta' into Google, and she's the first word to come up. A New York native, Tavi posted her fashion views on her blog, and has soon become an internet sensation. Did I mention she's 13 years old? No normal teenager, she has a look that resembles an old lady, and wears pieces by Lanvin, Marc Jacobs, and now has the pick of the bunch, with designers sending her pieces to wear and inviting her to shows.

The war officially started when Tavi was seated front row at the Dior show. She was seated directly in front of Grazia Style Director Paula Reed. That's right - a well noted fashion writer was seated behind a 13-year-old blogger. Paula tweeted (now thats another story) a photo of the back of Tavi's head, who was wearing a huge bow headpiece, with the words, “Is this what it has come to?” and the backlash began.

Fashion Editor Melanie Rickey said: “She was simply referring to the fact that a young blogger with no real fashion experience was seated in front of someone who had worked for years, and arguably earned her seat. It raised an important issue - are these people's opinions now more important?”

It's an interesting issue. Is it now more important what a quirky-dressed teenager thinks, rather than someone with a degree and experience? Is fashion something you are born with, rather than learned?

Blogger Coco's Tea Party sides with the magazines: "I do not think Tavi should have been seated in front. Paula had earned her seat, and really deserved and should be sat in front of bloggers. We have opinions, like everyone else, but we aren't qualified to be front row."

It seems bloggers are now believing their own hype. Whilst working backstage at fashion week, I turned away a very annoyed Susie Bubble from accessing the dressing rooms. I recognised her from a feature in Elle magazine, and she said to me: "Is this where we go to interview the designers?" I responded: "I'm afraid that unless you have a pass I cannot let you backstage." She looked at me with a do-you-know-who-I-am face, before reluctantly leaving with the rest of the audience.

It seems nowadays that anyone with an opinion and a computer can get themselves on the front row. And why it's great that 'normal' people are getting the attention of the fashion industry, there needs to be a line. Their opinions matter, but it is those of respected fashion writers who have worked their way to the top and earned their jobs that deserve the most time on the soapbox.

After all, where would we be if it was all left to bloggers? Looking at the ones that are most successful, we would be walking around in fur and neon colours wearing giant glasses and posing awkwardly. Now that is not a world I want to be living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment