About Me

My photo
I am a journalism graduate and LCF student desperate to break into the fashion industry (desperate being the operative word). I currently write for daisygreenmagazine.co.uk and runninginheels.com, and right here is where I vent my trials and tribulations, style and fashion cravings. I am a handbag addict, as well as loving a good old cup of yorkshire tea. Give me jelly babies and I will love you forever. I need to learn French so I can live in Paris with a pug and a wardrobe full of gems. I will always return to my first love - London town. As far as I am concerned there is nothing in life that cannot be solved with a good handbag - preferably a Chanel.

Sunday 6 June 2010

Diamonds in the Rough

There is a craze that is sort of sweeping the nation right now - swapping.

I mention it quite a bit on the site, so thought I would share what I've got at swaps with you.

When I first came across the concept of swapping, it's fair to say I was dubious. Why would I want somebody else's old, out-of-date cast offs? But then it occurred to me - is this not the same as vintage?

After a bit of research, the general consensus seems to be that for something to qualify as vintage it mist be more than twenty years old. Now although this doesn't always happen with the clothes at a swap, I did think that maybe younger clothes were a wiser buy, from a hygiene point at least. And anyway, the '90s is back.

On my first swap experience, I came across a gem of a dress. I have no idea on it's age or lifetime, but it did still have the tags on, a good sign for me. A mustard colour, flapper-style beaded dress for free? Don't mind if I do! The beauty of it is that although it is a couple of sizes too big, it looks great worn loose or with a belt to cinch in the middle. It was a great NYE dress and saved money that I did not have to spend. All round a total winner.

Another week another swap, and this didn't disappoint. I bagged myself an oversized jumper which doubles up as a dress with a waist belt. Great with leather boots and leggings. I also grabbed a faded leopard print jacket, which could look outdated but actually looks like a fab vintage find. I came over all pearl harbour with a mustard coloured, button up blouse. Attempting to channel Kate Beckinsale and bag my own Josh Hartnett, I teamed it with red lippy. In fact, I wore both the blouse and jacket out for drinks straight after the swap! Recessionista I am!

My most recent swap gave me a turtle neck striped t-shirt dress. I am always cautious around turtle necks, due to the chin issue, but this was bang on trend with the stripes and I just couldn't resist.

And my star swap find? Genuine, 100% real black wayfarer Raybans. I kid you not. Easily the best steal, I'm crying for the sun to come out so they can sit permanently on my face.

I've got another swap coming up next week, and I'm itching to find more. So if like me you're afraid to swap, fear not - you may even get some Raybans!

No comments:

Post a Comment