About Me

My photo
I am a journalism graduate and LCF student desperate to break into the fashion industry (desperate being the operative word). I currently write for daisygreenmagazine.co.uk and runninginheels.com, and right here is where I vent my trials and tribulations, style and fashion cravings. I am a handbag addict, as well as loving a good old cup of yorkshire tea. Give me jelly babies and I will love you forever. I need to learn French so I can live in Paris with a pug and a wardrobe full of gems. I will always return to my first love - London town. As far as I am concerned there is nothing in life that cannot be solved with a good handbag - preferably a Chanel.

Sunday 6 June 2010

Pointless

Now this is one subject that really gets me going. I read the news that Peaches Geldof has been dropped from Ultimo, and I had to ask - what does she do?

Peaches, along with many other girls, call themselves models, presenters, actresses etc, and turn up at every party, fashion show, club etc and claim to be style icons. And the worst bit? People believe it!

The Geldof sisters are two of the worst. They do nothing, have zero style or originality and still somehow manage to make best dressed lists! Peaches looks exactly like a million girls you see hanging around The Cut on a Monday night being all moody and 'alternative', in their fur jackets and red hair. I mean, come on!

The only one I have some kind of time for is Alexa Chung. At least she did get known by presenting. But then when was the last time she did that? She does have a fairly good dress sense, and the lucky thing gets a nod from Mulberry, but she can, like the others, look incredibly ill, and what's good about that?

I recently watched a programme on Peaches, and she came across as an extremely, spoilt, sheltered, ignorant individual who seemed to have read the handbook on being 'cool' and followed it to a tee.

The list is endless. Daisy Lowe, Zoe Kravitz, Jaime Winstone... and they hang in packs. Posing like pros and getting huge contracts and jobs without doing much for them.

I know what you're thinking - case of the green eyed monster. I'll be honest, that's probably part of it. I mean, I can't blame them. I'm sat here slugging it out over a laptop, desperately seeking internships, only to get paid pittance an hour in the hope of someone giving me an actual job. Saving for three months at a time, denying myself of any luxuries so I can buy a new bag. Meanwhile, they turn up somewhere and get paid, appear in the magazines I'm trying to get jobs at, and get bags named after them. It's not a bad life.

But would I ever swap places? I can honestly say no. Back in the day, when my mum would tell me "There's nothing better than earning money and saving it up, and then buying yourself something nice." Never did I think that statement was true, but it is! As much as it is a slog, it's at least an honest one, and requires some kind of skill and hard work. These jokers may have all the bags, clothes and shoes they could want, but by doing what? Having the right surname? No thanks.

I'll take my hard work and put it in my saved-up-for bag and work to get to the top. Or that's what I keep telling myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment