About Me

My photo
I am a journalism graduate and LCF student desperate to break into the fashion industry (desperate being the operative word). I currently write for daisygreenmagazine.co.uk and runninginheels.com, and right here is where I vent my trials and tribulations, style and fashion cravings. I am a handbag addict, as well as loving a good old cup of yorkshire tea. Give me jelly babies and I will love you forever. I need to learn French so I can live in Paris with a pug and a wardrobe full of gems. I will always return to my first love - London town. As far as I am concerned there is nothing in life that cannot be solved with a good handbag - preferably a Chanel.

Sunday 6 June 2010

Backstage Pass


Eeeeeep. That was the noise I made when I was handed my AAA (access all areas, incase you weren't sure) pass.

It all started three weeks before fashion week. I got an email from Vikki Burns, producer and choreographer to tons of stuff. She asked me whether I would be free the week of LFW to work backstage, 'erm, I think I can find the time!' So after I got the email (That's right, they called me!) The countdown had officially begun.

Fast forward to Friday 19th February and I was in a dream world. Walking around Somerset House, I had imagined myself here since I was 16 years old. I went to meet Vikki, got my golden ticket, and then she dropped the bomb - “Call time is 7am.” Eeeep. But this time, not the good kind.But whom am I? This is fashion week! And I'm backstage! So setting the alarm for 5 I headed back to the hotel for a sensible early night.

Alarm rings, and it was worse than I thought. My original plan was to set out 7 perfect fashion week outfits prior to travel, so I would avoid over-packing and morning stresses. All well and good, except this 'plan' was made back in January, and next thing I knew it was 8pm on the 17th February and I had an assignment to write and hand in before 12 the next day. You live and learn, right..?

So anyway, I got up (or crawled) and locked myself in the bathroom. 30 minutes, 1 shower, and a make up scramble later, I emerged bleary eyed and ready to go. Shoes were easy - converse all the way. This was a comfort issue, those models are fast. As far as the outfit went, that was floral leggings, slouchy grey jumper and a floral corset peeping out. More than one person thought I was wearing a catsuit, in a good way. Hair went to the trusty top knot, thankfully considered 'fashion' when my only theory was 'it's 5am for God's sake.'

I got to site, spent 20 minutes in the loo just getting warm, and it was all a blur from there. Each day was 18 hours long, but 18 fast-paced, exciting, fashionable, amazing, fabulous hours of the greatest experience.

I was ignored by Kate Moss who, for the record, is looking very haggard and old and has bad make up skills. So there. I was giggled at by Lily Allen, and had many a conversation with Luke Worrell, Kelly O's model fiance, who is an extremely sweet young man who is very embarrassed that people only want to know him by association. Didn't fancy him though, can't be having a boyfriend who is prettier and skinnier than I am, too many issues there. I cued a whole shoe by myself, wearing cool headphones and being listened to. I offended Amber Le Bon and had jokes with Jaquetta Wheeler. I turned down an invite to a party with Kate Moss and got mistaken for a celeb (dunno who, but one guy hates them now!). I bagged loads of freebies including mac make up and got happy on free wine in the press lounge.

I'd better stop now before you think I'm showing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment